Monday, August 3, 2009

My 1st Triathalon

Ok, first off let me say, I have a whole new respect for athletes who participate in these types of activities. It put the Ironman series in a whole new light!!!

Ok, so Saturday was my first triathalon. It was actually more like a mini one (not quite a true half). It was an intense and totally rewarding experience. I showed me that I have a LONG way to go, but that it's do-able. :) I'll just go through the day...

Friday, I went to bed around 8:30-9ish. I had a difficult time sleeping, partly because it was earlier than I was used to and partly because I was so nervous. I got up around 4:45am and finished packing my gear. I took some electrolyte waters with me and ate a peach for breakfast. Michael drove me out there and was my personal cheerleader. :) On the way, I drank a RTD EAS protein drink (I should have done better on my breakfast). I got there and was totally mind-f*cked at first. Since I picked up my packet Friday, I already knew my numbers. So, I got marked, had my bike checked and then put everything up in the transition area. I think normally it's a first-come, first-serve basis on getting the best bike rack spot, but they had ours marked for us. I guess it made it a little easier and less confusing. I ended up in a sports bra, my race suit from HS, and shorts for the swim. I figured I could just throw my tank top on for the bike and then swap into longer shorts for the run. I made the mistake of pinning my number onto my shirt (race belt = new best friend). Once I got everything set up, I went and got my timing chip ankle bracelet. We had a meeting where they didn't give any more info than they already had, and then it was time to head to the pool.

For the swim, they had us (all 400 & something of us!) line up according to our swim times. Everyone was supposed to time themselves for a 50 meter swim and then use a chart they supplied a few weeks ago to figure where your time is. I gave myself extra time, so I stood in the 11 minute line. About 10 minutes into waiting, I realized from the conversations around me that I needed to move up in the line to my actual 9 minute time. So, I slipped on up. The line was really more like a group until you got close to the start, so no one noticed. :) When I got up to the front, I stepped on the mat to start my timing chip and made the mistake of jumping in instead of sliding in. See, the pool was like 8 feet deep, so I had to wait until I surfaced again before I could push off and start (there was no diving allowed). That didn't help my time, but no biggie. The swim was definitely harder than I anticipated. It also didn't help that a girl in front of my obviously misjudged her time and started taking up the entire lane at one point. There was a nice little cluster-f*ck at one point. I ended up doing right over 9min 50 sec on my swim. This is where I earned a battle wound. The volunteers were pulling people out of the pool when they got to the latter. Well, they didn't give me time to get my footing and my shin slammed against the edge of the pool. OUCH. >:( (BTW, I should have realized that when the first girl in the pool was wearing an LSU swim cap AND finished 2 laps ahead of the person behind her that this was no joke! lol).

So, I jog out to my bike (everything was slippery and wet) and start throwing on my shoes. As I go to put on my tank top, my number rips. Great. I'm still soaking wet, mind you. So I get my top on and re-pin my numbers. I realized after I was on my bike that my chin strap on my helmet was way too tight. Something I had plenty of time to check before the race and never thought to. So, once I finally get situated, I'm off and coasting. I maintained about 15-16 mph on the 12 mile trip. The roads were horrible though - lots of bumps, cracks and a few potholes. I started to get discouraged because even though I passed like 5 people, I had about 15 pass me. I finally realized that they were all road bikes that were passing me. I need to get one of those. I had no idea that the difference between those and a mountain bike was that big. So, I make it back to the transition area, and I pretty much feel like I'm about to die and that there is NO WAY IN HELL I could possibly run 2 miles after the swim and bike. I wanted to cry, but told myself I was just going to suck it up, and even if I had to walk I was going to finish. I got my bike back to the rack and as soon as I put it up, I knock the girl next to me's bike off the rack. Of course, I had to stop and put it back. Then I swapped out my shorts because I was definitely not running in booty shorts (wardrobe will be better planned next time). That all took way too much time. I finally got out on the running course. It sucked. OMG, it sucked. I ran/jogged as much as I could, but with the heat and my heart rate going berserk, I had to slow down a few times. However, when I saw that finish line, I definitely picked it up. Crossing that finish line was one of the best feelings in the world (you know, OMG IT'S FINALLY OVER!!!!! lol). I got my Finisher medal and a fresh bottle of water. It was time to sit down! :)

My final time was 1:29:41, and my overall place was 94 (out of 399 actual finishers). I was 24th in my class. I'm not ashamed of my times, but I know now that I have so much more in me. I think I did well for my first time though. I can't wait to do another one, but I'm still very intimidated. I realize that I need a lot of training before then!

1 comment: